Crispy ghee potatoes
Serves 3-4 people as a side
1.5kg potatoes washed and peeled (keep peel for boiling)
3 tablespoons of Ghee
2 tablespoons of vinegar
4 sprigs of time
1. Start a large pot from cold with the potatoes as well as the peels on medium heat with enough water to easily cover the potatoes and add your vinegar. (the peel helps add flavour to potatoes and starting with cold water and vinegar helps potatoes to cook evenly from middle to outside.)
2. Once the water starts to warm up add in enough salt so it tastes slightly salty like the sea, the heat will help it dissolve. At this stage you can preheat your oven to 200 degrees c.
3. After 20- 30min and when you can easily slide a knife into the middle of the potato without resistance then you can strain your potatoes separating them and allowing them to cool. You can now cut them into evenly sized pieces.
4. when the potatoes are at room temp, you can place
a baking tray with the ghee into the oven and allow the ghee to come to heat. Then take the tray out carefully and add your potatoes tossing them through the hot ghee and half the thyme, hot ghee is the trick to glassy crunchy potatoes.
5. Place the pan back into the oven for 20min then turn your potatoes and allow to cook for another 20-30minutes until evenly brown and crunchy. Add the remainder of the thyme and enjoy with your meal.